What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Thursday, August 30, 2007

A little wet...

Well, when it rains it pours. Literally, in AL it pours. None of the warning showers typical in CA. Nope, the sky opens up and buckets start raining down. I hadn't fully appreciated that little fact of life here until yesterdays Wednesday ride. Prior to that most of the rain I had seen here was from indoors.

So the ride started out as typical with a race pace run through the Family Bike Trail (picture the upper trails at Cowell, but buffed at 2x the speed). I snap my only picture of the day at O'Shaughnessy Pt (rock outcropping that overlooks the valley). I am a bit winded from the pace and we head on. Down Warpath and onto the Goat Trail (both appropriately named for their boulder placement).

Larger image of map

So trucking along down goat trail and I am hurting. I am still trying to figure out if I am just that out of shape or if the heat/humidity are that taxing on my body. I kind of feel about the same as riding at altitude. After about 30-45 minutes I feel pretty worked. After a couple of hours I am just dog tired. Right before we hit 3 benches junction it starts pouring. I am soaked by 3 benches and we, Randy and I, turn up towards the parking lot to get out of the rain. Straight up Sinks Trail. I think it is a tough climb when dry, but when wet it is just about impossible to climb. I hiked a bit and got back to the lot in time to see the last car pull out. I guess I just wasn't in a hurry. Apparently these Alabama folks don't like the rain much. I kind of viewed it as novelty and didn't rush my climb(I know, big surprise).

That concluded my ride. I headed for home. Lots of rain in the streets. Those big drainage culverts that seem overbuilt when empty are about half full with the downpour when I get home. This morning the seat in the truck was still a bit wet.

So thus far I have found out that people in Alabama don't seem to appreciate hot weather or getting soaked in the rain. Weird :-)

No comments: