What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And then it hit me...

Quite possibly the best union of bicycling, garage work, and making some cash on the side. This is great.



I don't speak filipino, but from the comments it mentions putting his kids through school. I just like the ingenuity there. So he rides around, props up on the stand, and then back pedals to do his sharpening. Awesome. Never know what you will find on youtube.

Life in the Brummett household this week...
Faith had her tonsils and adnoids removed on Monday. She has taken it like a trooper. They actually sent her home that afternoon since she was really no worse for the wear. Normally they would keep the kid in recovery over night. Faith once again proves her semblance to a mack truck. She has been running around with minimal pain killer since. She refused to talk to me after I refused to give her goldfish. It is hard to explain to a little one that likes food that she is on a liquid diet.

No ride this weekend. I mentioned taking off for a couple hours on Sunday and Erin responded poorly to that notion. I chose to hang around the house and save the ride battle for another day.

This weekend marked the third time I have torn down my jointer. Problem with getting the company to comp a set of blades is that you do have to return the blades that are damaged. I finally had all of the hardware to install the stock cutter head, so I killed 2 birds with one stone. I was pretty amped on the spiral cutter at first, but the more I think about it the less I like it. Basically the blades cost as much as traditional knives, but are disposable. The straight HSS knives can be honed dozens of times as well as be offset to remedy chips. So despite a better cut the expense of keeping up with disposable knives is no good. Off to e-bay to attempt to recoup some of that money.


Some issues on assembly. The pulley is stuck on the stock cutter. After whacking on it for 20 minutes I did nothing but wedge it a bit further onto the shaft. So instead of damaging it I put it together to see if I could align the belt using the lower pulley. Fortunately that worked out. Next comes the knife setting. Not really a hard process, but complicated by the small tip on my dial indicator. I got the threee knives set, but was really not too happy with the results. 2nd time will be a charm. I located a larger flat tip, so I won't have to hunt around for Top-Dead-Center. I will finish this up when I get time this week.

Gotta say, I am kind of over all of this tool setup and maintenance. I just want to work on some wood. Enough heavy machinery.

Fortunately there is light at the end of the tunnel. On Sunday I was able to bang out a couple of small victories. First, since I removed the rail from Faith's crib she has fallen out of bed a couple of times. I had a poplar plank laying around that I wanted to use on a drawer that got veto'd by the boss. So I went to work on making a simple replacement low rail for Faith. I cut the board to rough length with a circular saw, but managed to complete the rest of it with hand tools. Next up was our coffee table. Nobody fessed up to it, but someone spilled beer and let it sit. That messed up the top finish. Since I wasn't going for a ride, might as well drag that sucker into the shop and fix it. Pull out the gloves and a card scraper and had the top stripped in about 10 minutes. Minimal dust and noise especially compared to an orbital sander. Over the next day and a half I put 4 coats of polyurethane on it. That should hold off moisture for a while.

It was very satisfying to be able to apply some of this knowledge that I have been soaking up over the last few months. Those sharp saws, chisels, and hand planes were just the ticket. No, the roundover on the rail isn't perfect but that wasn't the point. It took less time to do the roundover with my block plane than it would have taken to get the router setup. Things just kind of flowed like it was meant to be. Chips instead of dust and no hearing protection required. Very cool.

That's it, you are up to date. Work, school, and life go on. Take care.

No comments: