What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I got some wheels

They go clickety clack and all that. Well, got home to my wheels yesterday. No big surprise there. So I launch into build and prep mode to try and get the Sultan together. I mount the cassette and put the rear in the truing stand to true it and tape it. Then I get the idea that I should probably do the front first since I need to use the rear qr to hold it in the stand. So I swap out and give'er a spin. Well crap, big ol ding in the rim. FedEx must have been extremely careful in their transport of my precious cargo. Yeah right, special treatment like drop kicked it off a loading dock.

All is not lost as I have yet to return those 32h hoops, so I can just swap out the rim. Other than an hour of my time it will not slow me down too much. So I get on the phone with Chad over at Red Barn and check to make sure he is down with me doing the swap. He was totally cool about it and was glad that I hadn't returned the other hoops so that we had the option to do as I proposed. Any rate, ended up on the phone with him for a good 20 minutes. He is a cool guy and not just on the bike front.

So I launch into swapping the rim. Deep section rims suck. I made it about 7-8 spokes in and decided to call it a day. I am going to have to thread a spoke into each of the nipples from the outside and guide them out of one rim and into another. Pretty time consuming. Also a few Keystone Ice into the evening my patience just wasn't into it.

It is now dark and I am getting on to thinking about some food. Well, that's about it for Doug's adventures in bike building for the day. You win some, you lose some. Gotta call this one a loss.

No comments: