What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More computer garbage...

Okay, picked up a MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC a couple of months back (an Nvidia video graphics card for those who are wondering what I am talking about here). Initially I am thinking it is a rocking little card for the price. After some tinkering with fans in my case I have been able to get my 3 120mm case fans and 120mm cpu fan just about silent. So now the card has become the loudest thing in my case. This just wouldn't do.

After some internet scouring of the reviews of this card I noted a couple of reviewers commented on how improved the cooling was with a Zalman VF900 gpu cooler. So I ordered one up.

Here are a few images of the install process:
1)stripping off the stock cooler


2)Noisey little bugger


3)Nvidia gpu


4)Ready for the VF900


5)Ready to rock


6)In the case


End result, GPU temp dropped about 6*C at idle. I didn't grab a screen cap of it at the start, but here is temp at the end.


Overall I would highly recommend this mod. Cooling is improved. Noise is reduced. Only thing I will miss is that the stock cooler did port the hot air out of the case. But I have an Antec P182, so if needed I can up the case flow to get it out.

No comments: