What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I need more clamps

And slower setting glue. Last night I made a trip over to the Lowe's and picked up some red oak for test purposes. A far cry from the hardwood dealer in terms of quality. I had to spend the better part of 20 minutes digging through the piles to get straight wood from the twisted and warped majority. I walked out with enough staight peices to get some practice in on mortise and tennons. Maybe a small plant table or end table will do the trick.

I picked up some 1x2x8' peices to glue together for the legs. So I laid the 2 boards on the work bench, put a line of glue down one, spread it with a plastic scraper, and then hurriedly put just about every clamp in the shop on the 8ft length. When I got done I had a mess of glue and a clamped up pair of boards with 50lb of clamps on it. It is a bit overkill, but it turns out c-clamps were about the best thing I had to generate enough clamping force. Before doing this type of glue up again I will need some more small f-clamps and some more cauls to better distribute the pressure.

After cleaning up the glue mess I was off to the tablesaw. I wanted to verify my measurements on the blade alignment. So I hacked together a quick jig to hold my digital calipers.

It actually worked pretty good. Now I have an accurate number for how out of adjustment my saw is. Looks like it is about .001" over the manufacturers range for alignment front to back. Not too good. I think I will need to drop the whole motor and trunion assembly and file the brackets slightly to get this bugger into alignment. I am just out of wiggle room in the direction that the blade needs to move. Drat.

I assembled the riving knife on the saw. I am not sure it is much use since it doesn't lower or tilt with the blade. So for those operations and also for dado work I will have to remove it. But I figure it is one of those ounce of prevention devices. The small cost of the parts is cheaper than the alternative if it saves an accident in the shop.

No comments: