What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Conception

I have been kicking around about what to do for XC riding this season. Over the last 5-6 months I have sold off anything that was XC in my stable. These liquidated bikes and items went to property taxes, household expenses, and to funding new parts on the Ventana. So here it is with Spring creeping into view and me with no XC rig. One thing is clear, the Mrs. isn't down with me getting anything off the top shelf this year. I guess it is understandable after the Ventana last summer.

My search for a new xc bike was really driven by what Scotts Valley Cyclesport could get for me. What can I say, Mike and the boys hook a brotha up so I gotta roll what they can get in the shop. With a budget of next to nothing my choices are limited to another Rockhopper (I rode a Pro disc last year) and a Raleigh XXIX +G (a 29er as the name implies). Of the two the Raleigh is predominantly more of an XC rig. I have also been wanting to get out on a 29er for quite a while to see what all the buzz is about.

So yesterday I placed my order. It should be in my hands by the end of the month if all goes well. Only concerns I have are weight (the large came in at 31lb on the shop scale) and a bit of flex in the frame. For the intended use I think that the flex will be fine. The weight is going to take a bit of work, but I think with a couple of quick and cheap changes (lighter tires, seat, h-bars) it could be dropped down to a more respectable 27-28lb. Look forward to updates on this once I get it in hand. I am fairly excited to have a 29er in the stable for evaluation, so I am sure I will blab about it once I have some saddle time.

FWIW it should look something like this
(bigger of course since mine will be an XL)

No comments: