What's the weather like in Doug's neighborhood?

Friday, March 9, 2007

Week in review

It has been a fairly busy week.


Saturday I hit up the NAHBS. It is one of the coolest events I go to during the year. Of course I really can't afford anything other than pint glasses and beanies. It is still great to go and drool over the hand crafted works of art. Word was that I might be meeting up with Eddie, but the bugger wasn't answering his phone and we ended up missing each other. I miss Eddie. Gonna have to catch up with him another day.
Check out the gallery over at MTBR. Not quite as good as in person, but it will have to do if you missed the show.

Work has been a bit busy lately since our NASA project was re-scoped. I really love honing in on a moving target only to have it placed a couple of months farther out and way to the right. Oh well, life will go on and for now I'm getting paid so not too much to complain about.

Tuesday I was able to sneak in a Henry Cowel run. Bear Mountain is drying out nicely, but it is still very slow rolling. Felt good just to be out riding the bike. The front shifting is working fairly well. I still need to give it a little tweak, but for now it is a bit of rubbing in a couple of gears. Brakes held quiet and all the nameless trails were in good shape. I ended up pushing into dusk, but I did have my light with me. I blindly made it out of the woods, but stopped to install the light before I got run over by a car.

I finally got a hair cut. Feels good to not be so shaggy. No clippers though, so that was interesting. I don't think that I have had a scissor only cut since I was about 7. But Erin wanted me to leave it a bit longer for now. No mug shot sorry.

Yesterday I cut out of work with enough time to hit the UC trails. I ran into the Harbor High MTB Team. Guess their coaches have them doing hill climbs up Yukon. I should have asked how many times they were doing it. They were blasting back down it. The leaders were flying, but some of the back of the pack were very sketchy as I passed them. Nice kids though. My ride was an up yukon, fire road, and then I ran down some campers. One thing I noticed right off, the fire road in UC is much better rolling than Bear Mountain. After feeling like crap the last couple of times climbing that it was nice to see that it wasn't just me being slow (as usual). I ran the ride with my fork at 5 and a bit higher pressure. That downhill is just brutal. I would like to have a go at it on a 40lb dh bike one of these days. By the end of my run I did have some low level howling on the rear brake caliper. So back to the drawing board on that. One positive, the 8in rotors really do a good job in reducing hand fatigue. At the bottom I am normally a bit arm pumped. Nothing yesterday, I could have done a couple more runs had there been more light.

Today is a short day at work. Heading out to Sacramento to visit Erin's cousin in Folsom. Maybe I can sneak my bike in and to a ride at Folsom Lake one of the days. Have to get executive permission on that though. So it looks like another weekend without much in the way of riding. Guess it could be worse.

No comments: